Today, friends, I am sharing a very special family recipe with you. It’s my Mom’s “Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake.” Throughout my childhood, the aroma of this deliciously moist cake baking in the oven meant 1 of 3 things:
- Somebody needed cheering up
- We were celebrating something
- Just because
My sister baked it the morning our Dad passed away – it was his favorite and her’s, particularly so. This afternoon I baked one to celebrate my 20th Wedding Anniversary with my husband and our 2 teenagers. We will probably eat this for dinner!
This cake has never lasted more than 24 hours in my family’s home. Give it a try and see if it becomes a tradition for your family!
- Mix together 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar in a large bowl;
- Heat to boil the following: 2 sticks of butter, 3 tablespoons of cocoa and 1 cup of Coca-Cola;
- Stir the boiled liquid over the dry mixture;
- Add 1/2 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows.
- Bake in a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Combine and heat the following
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons Coca-Cola
- 3 tablespoons of buttermilk
Pour over 1 box of powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and pour over warm cake.